Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Sisterlocks Consultations

I ultimately decided that I wanted to work with a certified consultant who had been doing Sisterlocks for a number of years (at least 5).  I wanted someone who would be meticulous, caring, open to questions, and wouldn't mind my nitpicking.  I ask lots of questions.

I looked at the names on the Sisterlocks website and decided to Google them to see if anyone popped up.  Three names popped up and I called the first on the list.  When I first reached her, she was driving and we got disconnected.  I called back and left two messages over the course of a week.  She never called me back.

The second consultant I called was very pleasant and I scheduled a meeting with her.  She was very nice, showed me the video, discussed my hair type, put test locks in my hair.  I wasn't comfortable with some of the comments she made about the video.  The Sisterlocks video is an older video, but in showing me the video the consultant complained about it instead of using it to explain more about the Sisterlocks installation process.  She put the test locks (2 rows of 3 each-two different sizes) on the right side of my head, right above my ear, and then took them back out when I asked about their location and if she was going to leave them in.  She mentioned that the Sisterlocks home office "didn't like her."  She also stated that she usually installs medium and large locks.  I got the feeling that I would wind up with medium or large locks if I were to choose her.  I wanted small (but not micro). I decided that she was not the one for me.  Her price was very reasonable, but I was looking for someone I connected with, felt comfortable with.  After all, I will be working with this person for years to come. 

The third consultant I contacted was very nice.  When I initially called her, she was out of town.  I called her again and was able to schedule a meeting with her on the same day as the first consultation which was great because I was in the area.  I walked into her work space and was instantly put at ease.  Incense, calming colors, soothing music, nice decor, professional set-up.  She showed me the video, stopped the video periodically to point out the hair styles, talk about the comments and suggestions in the video, and even showed me beginning and current pictures of some of the women in the video.  I liked that she was very thorough in the information she presented.  I liked that she answered my questions and seemed very knowledgeable about my hair type and about the process of locking in general.  I felt very comfortable in her presence and knew that I wouldn't mind working with this person over the next few years.  We set my installation date and I left to go tell my husband all about it.

I told him about both meetings and the difference in prices.  He said "Well, you are comfortable with the second consultant, go with her."  Her price was higher, but I also feel that you get what you pay for.  I read a blog one day that talked about the fact that Sisterlocks is a permanent undertaking and that if the foundation wasn't good, then the end result might not be good either.

I called my consultant to confirm, and I am constantly looking at my test locks, touching them,  waiting anxiously for the day of my installation to arrive.  Installation date is August 17-18, 2010.  I am so excited.  I can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment