Tuesday, August 17, 2010

New Style

I am soooooo exited.  I recently decided to change my hairstyle.  I have worn my hair "natural" for a while.  Natural....as in how it grows from my head.  Natural....as in the hair that God gave me.  For years I permed it, pressed it, texturized it...all in search of something different.  I have had every cut I could think of, only colored it once.  I've braided it, wrapped it, worn a freeze (early 90's style fingerwave-don't laugh, it was really cute).  After a texturizer in 2008 that didn't turn out the way I wanted, I decided that I was done with the chemicals and would let my hair grow as nature had intended.  And grow it did.  After a bad haircut six months into my journey, I went to a barber who cut all my hair off.  It was shorter than I had intended (she cut off maybe 4 inches of hair), but it was cute.

Years ago I saw a woman at an event who had the cutest dread locks.  They were super small and were cut into a really cute bob.  I asked her about her hair and she told me she had Sisterlocks.  At the time I was rocking a perm and didn't think the Sisterlocks style was for me (but then again, I thought only styles I could create with a perm were for me).  As I began to grow my hair out after my last texturizer, I revisited the idea of Sisterlocks.  I have been researching on and off for the past two years (about as long as I've been growing out my natural hair). I decided to take the plunge after months of deliberation.  Did I want to lock my hair?  Would I like it?  Would it look good?  What would my husband say?  It is important to note that my husband has dreds.  He has long dreds that he has been wearing since around 2001 or so.  He didn't know what Sisterlocks were when I mentioned wanting them.  He is okay with whatever style I choose, although I know for a fact that he prefers long hair.

I didn't need his "OK," but wanted his support on my journey.  My next step is to find a consultant.

No comments:

Post a Comment