Friday, August 27, 2010

Hands in my pockets...most irritating

I'm highly irritated.  Okay, so I'm pissed.  I may ramble...thanks for letting me vent.

Today was a good day.  I got some stuff done, though not as much as I should have.  I had a really good omelet at a cafe in town.  I watched one of my favorite shows on TV (I LOVE my DVR...don't know what I did before I had one).  All was well until I went shopping with one of my sisters.  We were shopping for baby shower gifts for my niece's baby shower, which is tomorrow.  Everything about the shopping trip was cool...until my sister started making comments like "What are you getting?"  "Why are you putting that back, isn't it only like $3.99?"  "Aren't you gonna get all that stuff?"  Mind you, I had a bunch of stuff in the basket already.  I love my niece dearly, but cannot afford to spend a small fortune on her.  She and her boyfriend are down to one income because she has been on bed-rest for most of her pregnancy.  I'm sorry for that, but it's not up to me to purchase everything that they need.  I'm giving them a bassinet (like new), a new boppy pillow, gave them a bunch of baby stuff already, and will continue to pass stuff along.

At the cashier, I paid for my stuff (also got a few cute dresses for my thirteen month old daughter).  I put one baby item to the side because I was spending more than I had intended.  My sister started saying things like "Well I'm gonna get all this stuff for her because I know they need it."  and "They only have one income."  and "It's gonna be hard for them with only one income." and "I bought all this stuff for them because they need everything they can get, they only have one income."  After all of that I was thinking..."man, I'm gonna leave her a** here..."

If I had a dollar for each of the times she said "only one income," I wouldn't need my next paycheck.  One thing that made me even more irritated is that she made some snide comment to her 12 year old daughter (my niece), who then looked at me with a frown.  I wanted to say "Will you pull your hands from my pockets?" 

You see....for some reason my sister is fixated on the fact that I have two incomes and she only has one.  Well, I'm married.  She isn't.  She married a man she knew for 3 months (yes, she met him-didn't like him at first, started dating him, and married him in secret literally 2 months later) and no one was surprised at the divorce which happened a few years later.  She single, and complains about having one income.  Go figure.

My husband and I are able to make ends meet, sometimes barely.  My sister doesn't know our income situation, nor does she know what bills and expenses we have to pay.  Yet she thinks that she knows what I should spend on baby clothes or anything else?  Seriously?  She has often commented before that she "wishes she had two incomes."  If I mention something about not having enough money for something, she'll say "Well, you have two incomes."  Like that makes everything I say null and void. Give me a stinkin' break.  She complains about having only one income, but is always buying shoes and clothes and jewelry.  Give me two stinkin' breaks.

How can two people grow up in the same household, and them one of them turn into some selfish, self righteous, opinionated-think she knows everything type of individual?  It's like whatever she has done is the gospel and if others aren't doing it that way, they are stupid or whatever.  She talks badly about other people and the choices they have made, like she never made any of the same or similar poor choices.  And she is teaching her daughter the same bad habits.  It's one thing to want nice things and appreciate nice things, and to purchase nice things for your daughter.  It is another thing altogether to raise your daughter to be an uppity little snot with a smart mouth who thinks she is better than everyone else.  This twelve year old girl looks down on her cousin (another sister's child) because she doesn't have all the same things (material wealth) or the same knowledge (life skills).  In fact, she makes rude comments and treats her cousin poorly.  How much do you want to bet it is because her mother talked a lot of mess about her cousins mother (another sister of mine-I have 5)? It is a shame, a dog-gone shame.  And the child thinks she's grown.  She isn't.

I look at that and I pray that the Lord guides me in teaching my daughter not to judge people too harshly because you never know about their exact situation.  I pray that I instill in her positive values that will help her to be a well rounded, loveable, caring young lady who has lots of friends and a positive outlook on life while being determined and goal oriented.

I'm a person who avoids conflict.  I don't like conflict.  I seldom get angry.  I don't curse.  But today, I wanted to do all those things. 

She is my sister, and I love her, but dammit, she needs to pull her hands out of my pockets.  We might have to come to verbal fisticuffs (argument) if she doesn't stop her self-righteous b.s. 

My husband doesn't know why I hold my tongue. 

Sometimes I don't know either.

No comments:

Post a Comment