Thursday, March 11, 2010

Idiot Squad

It is a shame when there are students who just don’t seem to care about failing. I’ll call them...the Idiot Squad. These are students who come to school but don’t do any work. They sit in class and don’t listen. They talk all the time, even after repeated warnings. Consequences have no meaning for them. When called on their behavior, they act like idiots-denying what I had seen with my own eyes.

As a teacher, there is only so much I can do with students like these, those who simply don’t care. It makes me angry that these kids will not have the skills they need to succeed in the world of tomorrow. Some of them, like a teenaged girl I have, won’t do a thing. She watches as her mom and dad, both school drop outs, leech off of her grandmother who works hard to provide a roof over the heads of 2 grown individuals and their 11 kids. This young lady figures her parents were drop outs, so she will be as well.

I want to not care what happens to these students. But I find myself caring too much. Their lack of interest in education makes me angry.

And then...the parents of the students who have the worst behavior call for a conference. They then sit there and ask me what they should do about their kids horrible behavior. This behavior didn’t crop up all of a sudden, so they should have nipped it in the bud years ago when it started.

So I look at the idiot squad and mentally shake my head. These particular kids have no future if they don’t change their behavior.

So sad....little idiots. I can’t call them stupid. But I want to.

No comments:

Post a Comment