Tuesday, May 24, 2011

School, McDonald's, and a Three Day Weekend

I am supremely pissed at occasionally frustrated with my students because of their lack of motivation. I worked with one student yesterday (a 17 year old 9th grader) on math. For twenty minutes we covered polynomials, going over the assignment, working through examples, her saying “yes, I understand” and answering my questions, only to have her sit in her chair like a bump on a log when asked to think for herself work out a few problems on her own. I often feel like I’m working harder than they are. It’s supposed to be the other way around.

I keep telling them they will need a high school diploma just to work at McDonald’s. Apparently they don’t believe me.

Should I just carry around a large spoon so I can open their heads and scoop in knowledge without them having to lift a finger? Some of my students seem to think that they don’t have to work very hard at anything...especially not learning and completing high school.

I talk with my students about how life will be if they don’t get their acts together. They just don’t seem to understand. I wonder if it is condition of their background, one in which they see everyone else doing “okay” regardless of whether or not the people around them graduated from high school.

I have a student who doesn’t even know whether or not his mother graduated from high school. Wait.... What? How the heck do you not know whether or not your mom or dad graduated from high school and you see them every day?!?

And don’t get me started on the 17 year old who doesn’t know her address. She has lived there for years....

It’s almost time for me to leave for the day. I’m looking forward to the three day weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment